Wow, I wish I was as patriotic as one of these mythical ‘Conservatives’. Fills my mind with visions of eagles, flapping flags, saluting children, trailer parks, people in Wal-Mart on scooters that are too fat to walk (but not to shop), illiteracy, incest, gun nuts, evangelical wackos and white-collar crimes (and the list goes on).
So are you a Conservative? Well, if you were a conservative in 1980, probably not. Conservatism used to be about personal responsibility, low taxes and limited government back in the day. This was a logical reaction to what was seen as liberal excesses of the 60s and 70s – in short, something based on reality.
What does conservatism mean today? Something totally different – even though they advertise the same beliefs. How do we know – very simple, their actions. Bush’s skyrocketing debt, unpaid for wars, their interest in what goes on in your bedroom, a willingness to look the other way when rich people play by different rules – what more evidence do you need. Yes, Reagan conservatism is truly dead – unless of course you are willing to vote for Democrats…lol
Conservatism today is more of a cult that a political movement. You can be a member of this cult if you:
- blame minorities, women, gays or these mythical creature called ‘liberals’ for the woes in you life;
- envy of the working poor because they don’t pay Federal Income taxes (basically because they don’t have any money);
- are pissed off about having to pay for this huge dependency class (despite that fact that it does not exist – 90% of the 47% are either elderly, active duty, children or handicapped);
- are willing to look the other way when rich people play by a different set of rules, because they are reserving a place at the table for you (even though this will never happen);
- are ok with ‘shadow money’ and ‘undisclosed donors’ controlling politics because it furthers your goals;
- don’t see that Fox News and right-wing media is making money hand-over-fist from you, not because they actually believe what they are saying, but because they are milking your insecurities, fears and low self-esteem issues for profit.
Below are a few ‘contradictions’ that came to mind. Please let me know if you have any more.
Except in the cases of:
- having to have medical insurance so we all don’t have to pick up the ER bill
- accountability for the white collar crimes that crashed our economy and took 25% of the value off of your home
- shadow groups with secret donors funding right-wing political campaigns
- requiring background check for gun purchases to make sure they are not being purchased by people who are ‘terrorists’
Even though taxes under Obama’s first 4 years were lower than taxes under any Republican administration in the past half-century, they do not shower him with praise.
Except for the ‘Working Poor’ who they now feel as if they don’t pay enough taxes even though it was the Bush Tax Cuts that exempted the majority of them from having to pay federal income taxes (you following this?)….cue the banjos….
Even if it means skyrocketing debt – see exhibit 1 ‘Reagan’s Years’, exhibit 2 ‘Bush’s Years’
Except in cases of:
- Reproductive Rights
- Lady Parts
- What consenting adults do in their bedrooms
- Freedom of Religion
- Equal pay for women
- Blood tests for entitlements